Thursday 24 January 2013

Clive Head

Today I had a chat with my tutor at uni about artist Clive Head. Head is a painter and his style is often describer at 'realist' - something which, according to my tutor (Art Historian David Jackson, who will be writing a catalogue for one of Head's exhibitions), Clive contests.


The paintings are huge, and the style of his work implies a sense of photorealism. However, it cannot be mistaken for a photographic documentation of reality; there is no doubt that this is a painting. I find his studies particularly critical in terms of shapes and colours, rather than of social spaces. Having said this, his paintings certainly illustrate a feel for the public scenes that he paints.

David is going to his studio next week to try and find out a little more of Head's understanding of his own practice. I'm really looking forawrd to what he discovers.