Monday 19 May 2014

Marble Abstraction

I've always been fascinated by how different patterns and print pick up momentum for trend. Despite how individually we all tend to dress, certain themes seem to recur - regardless of how quirky or obscure those themes might  be. Over the past couple of months, some of my favourite bloggers and brands have been using black, grey and white marbling across their products and aesthetic - and the movement hasn't escaped a high-end integration either.


 


I love these F/W13 Balenciaga marbled heels - but I equally love how Proenza Schouler seemed to update the marble print by abstracting it in his S/S 2014 collection. Who knew that lashings of dark grey on white could create two such different effects? I can't help but match the visual similarities of both prints.